The Every-Day Salad Ingredient That’s Great For Your Skin!
Tomatoes. They’re great in a salad, on top of pizza, and even to eat plain. One thing you may never have thought to use tomatoes for, however, is to make your skin look great (we sure never had!).
We found a great article from the Huffington Post all about the great benefits of tomatoes for your skin and hair, and because we’re obsessed with helping you look and feel your best, we just had to share. Here’s the Huffington Post’s list of 7 Amazing Beauty Benefits of Tomatoes:
1. They cleanse and tone skin. Mash one tomato and one avocado into a facial mask. Smooth onto your skin and leave on for 15-20 minutes (TIP: Because tomatoes are highly acidic, it may sting or burn a bit). The tomato deep-cleans dirt and debris, while the avocado restores moisture (sounds like the dream-team, huh?). Wash off with lukewarm water and pay face dry.
2. They shrink large pores. Combine one tablespoon of fresh tomato juice and two drops of lime juice in a small bowl. Dab a cotton swab into the mixture and swipe onto your face in upward circular motions. After about 10 minutes, rinse the solution off with cool water.
3. They treat acne and remove blackheads. A tomato’s acidity is powerful enough to clear up pimples and blemishes. Apply the pulp to the affected area for up to 30 minutes each day, and then rinse off. Do this consistently over two weeks and you’ll begin to notice fewer breakouts.
4. They get rid of oily skin. The above routine can also help reduce shine. Vitamins C and A, as well as amino acids, are known for their oil-minimizing properties. Just be sure to follow up with a hydrating moisturizer after cleansing!
5. They remedy sunburns. If you have any painful burns (why weren’t you wearing your sunscreen!), soothe your skin by rubbing on a cool blend of tomato and yogurt.
6. They add shine to a dull complexion. If you want glowing skin in under 15 minutes, just add a bit of honey to some tomato juice until you’ve created a thick paste. Rub the mask onto your face and relax while it does its thing and then wash off.
7. They condition dry hair and relieve an itchy scalp. Once you’ve shampooed your hair, pour tomato juice onto your stands and leave on for five minutes. The homemade conditioner will remove buildup and help with hydration.
Well, there you have it. The 7 beauty benefits of tomatoes for your hair and skin. We don’t know about you, but we can’t wait to try each and every one of these. Got a skin problem that a tomato won’t cure? Visit our website or call our office today to make an appointment at Eastside Dermatology.