Laser Treatments: Skin Resurfacing, Vein Treatment, Tattoo Removal
Today, laser technology is enabling some of the most exciting advances ever in the field of cosmetic dermatology. With unsurpassed power, safety, and precision, lasers can be used to gently and effectively treat many conditions that once required surgery or harsh chemical treatments. Eastside Dermatology, serving Columbus and Hilliard, Ohio, takes full advantage of the latest laser technology to perform tattoo removal, skin resurfacing, vein removal, and many other procedures as safely and conveniently as possible.
- Laser Hair Removal
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Laser Vein (Removal) Treatment
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) – Photofacial
- Lasers Used at Eastside Dermatology
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a safe, simple way to permanently reduce or eliminate unwanted hair on almost any area of the body. With laser hair removal, it is possible to avoid the discomfort and inconvenience of shaving, waxing, and other temporary hair growth solutions. Instead, enjoy permanently smooth skin with little or no upkeep required.
Visit our Laser Hair Removal page to learn more about this laser service.
Laser Tattoo Removal
At Eastside Dermatology, we use advanced laser technology to remove tattoos without any of the cutting or burning required by other tattoo removal treatments. Patients who choose laser tattoo removal benefit from a lower risk of scarring and less discomfort.
We use the MedLite® C6 Q-switched Nd:YAG laser for all laser tattoo removal procedures at our Hilliard and Columbus, Ohio locations. This system is one of the most sophisticated pieces of laser equipment available, enabling truly singular results. Using this laser system, we apply brief, intense pulses of light directly to the tattooed skin. The light pulses resonate with ink of different colors, breaking the tattoo ink up into tiny particles that can be safely and naturally eliminated by the body. Laser tattoo removal works best on darker, fresher tattoos and patients with paler skin. Turquoise tattoo ink is the most difficult to remove, but our laser can be fine-tuned to accommodate many different patients and tattoos.
Each treatment is brief, and with a series of treatments, laser tattoo removal can significantly diminish or even completely eliminate most tattoos with little to no discomfort and with minimal recovery time. Because the laser interacts directly with the ink, the skin is almost completely unaffected. At worst, most patients experience some mild redness and tenderness that fades within a week of treatment.
Laser Skin Resurfacing
As we age, our facial skin tends to develop fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, lips and even over the cheeks. Frown lines and smile lines deepen over time. The skin’s luster and clarity begin to fade, leaving the skin care patient looking fatigued, stressed, and aged before their time. The answer is laser skin resurfacing – a non-surgical, non-chemical treatment designed to gently rejuvenate the facial skin.
Using the Cutera Pearl laser system, our skin care technicians gently strip away damaged, worn skin in order to expose the fresh, healthy skin beneath. During this process, heat from the laser also stimulates the growth of collagen fibers deep within the skin, improving its elasticity and smoothing away wrinkles and fine lines. This process continues for weeks, gradually revealing a radiant, youthful complexion.
Laser skin resurfacing is also an effective treatment for acne scarring, and many different common skin conditions. Patients who choose to undergo laser skin resurfacing with the Pearl laser at one of our convenient locations in Hilliard and Columbus, Ohio are able to avoid the chemicals necessary for most peels and the abrasion of microdermabrasion or dermaplaning.
Laser Vein (Removal) Treatment
Unsightly blood vessels on the face make many people feel insecure. Luckily, there is a procedure to eliminate these blood vessels for good. Laser vein treatment at our offices in Hilliard and Columbus, Ohio has brought newfound confidence to many of our patients.
Using a state-of-the-art laser system, our physicians specifically target unsightly blood vessels while leaving the surrounding tissue unaffected. The laser focuses hemoglobin, transferring heat energy to the walls of the blood vessel and causing them to shrink while sparing the paler skin and tissue around them. There is almost no risk of a negative reaction, and most patients experience only minimal discomfort.
Laser vein removal can eliminate small- to medium-sized blue or purple spider veins on the legs without reliance on chemicals or surgery. If you are interested in laser vein removal, please contact Eastside Dermatology today.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) – Photofacial
Photofacial is a non-invasive procedure that eliminates much of the damage inflicted on your skin by the effects of the sun, aging, and common skin conditions like rosacea. The intense pulsed light (IPL) system supplies a broad spectrum of light that reaches the deep layers of the skin, targeting pigment and vascular imperfections. The goals of therapy are improved skin tone and texture, improvement in fine lines and pore size, and reduction of facial redness and visible blood vessels.
IPL photofacial is a safe, non-invasive procedure that can be adjusted to your individual condition and skin type. It can help restore your skin to a more youthful appearance with minimal discomfort and minimal recovery time.
Lasers Used at Eastside Dermatology
At Eastside Dermatology, we have several types of lasers to treat a wide range of skin conditions and perform laser treatments including skin resurfacing, tattoo removal, hair removal, and more.
- The Pulse Dye Laser (PDL) is a non-ablative laser that does not damage the surface of the skin. It uses a specific wavelength of light to treat certain conditions, including spider veins on the face, rosacea, port wine stains (birthmarks), cherry angiomas and hemangiomas (red and purple benign lesions), scars, and warts. Topical anesthetic creams may be applied to the skin before treatment to ensure patient comfort. In addition, the V-Beam laser, a specific type of PDL, has a Dynamic Cooling Device™ that cools the skin by shooting bursts of cooling liquid nitrogen before the laser fires to reduce
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is commonly know for its photo rejuvenation and photofacial applications to smooth wrinkles, reduce pore size, and give the skin a more youthful look. The IPL laser can also be used to treat pigmented lesions, such as freckles and age spots, spider veins, and persistent redness, and to perform permanent laser hair removal and skin tightening. The IPL is also a non-ablative laser that does not damage the surface of the skin. The IPL uses a broadband light wave to penetrate deep to the lower levels of the skin. Most patients will require multiple treatments to receive the full effect of the IPL laser.
- The ND: YAG Laser uses an invisible infrared light to penetrate deeply into the skin to target pigmentation without damaging the surface skin tissue. Because the ND: YAG targets pigmentation, it can be used to treat vascular lesions and telangiectasias (broken blood vessels), and can be used for laser tattoo removal and hair removal especially in African-American patients. Treatment takes multiple visits, but the results are permanent.
- PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT), often referred to as the “BluLight” procedure, PDT is primarily used to treat actinic keratoses (pre-cancerous lesions). A light-sensitive solution is first applied to the treatment area allowed to sit on the skin for a certain amount of time. Then, the treatment area is exposed to the ultraviolet (UV) light to activate the solution. The combination of the solution and the light destroys the pre-cancerous cells, which will slough off after a few days. PDT is often covered by insurance for treating pre-cancerous lesions. It also has cosmetic applications and can be used to treat acne, rosacea, and sun damage.
- The Fractional CO2 Laser is the latest advancement in laser skin resurfacing. Previous CO2 lasers successfully reduced deep wrinkles; however, recovery took about two weeks. With the new fractional CO2 laser, recovery is reduced to only a few days. The fractional CO2 laser uses micro-columns of laser light to penetrate the skin and simulate collagen production. Results are similar to conventional CO2 lasers in that the patient’s final result is an appearance of 5 to 10 years younger. Although the Fractional CO2 laser is an ablative laser, meaning that it affects the surface of the skin, the use of micro-columns greatly reduces the recovery time.
- The Aura KTP Laser is used to treat port wine stains (a type of birthmark), telangiectasias (broken blood vessels), and other superficial vascular lesions. The KTP laser works in a similar manner to the pulsed dye laser; however, the KTP laser offers more control of the heating of the blood vessels in order to destroy them. Some patients may need several treatments to completely treat their conditions.
- The Sciton Profile ClearScan™ laser, a form of the ND: YAG laser, has two routine functions in our practice: the destruction of spider veins and permanent hair reduction. The ClearScan™ uses infrared energy to target certain cells without damaging the surrounding tissues. For laser hair removal, it targets dark hair structures, damaging the existing hair and destroying the follicle’s potential for regrowth. During spider vein removal, the laser targets the darker pigmented blood vessels, effectively destroying them. The Sciton Profile ClearScan™ has a cooling plate that rests on the skin, cooling the skin as the laser fires and reducing the discomfort that some people may feel during a laser procedure.
We also have access to other lasers at Eastside Dermatology, including:
- Candela V- Beam Pulsed Dye Laser (595nm) – (Used to treat vascular lesions and for non-ablative wrinkle removal)
- Coherent LightSheer Diode Laser (800nm) – (Used for laser hair removal)
- Cutera CoolGlide Vantage “Altus” (Long Pulsed Nd:YAG) – (Used to treat vascular lesions, leg veins, and for laser hair removal*)
- Palomar MediLux Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) – (Used to treat vascular lesions and pigmented lesion, and for photofacials and laser hair removal)
- LightAge Technologies Ta2Eraser (QS 755) – (Used for green/blue tattoo removal and for treatment of pigmented lesions)
- Continuum Bio-Medical Medlite IV, Medlite C3 and Medlite II – (Used for laser tattoo removal and treatment of, pigmented lesions)
- Reliant Technologies, Fraxel SR – (Used for photorejuvenation)
- LaserScope Aura i (Long Pulsed 532nm) – (Used to treat telangiectasias and vascular lesions)
- LaserScope Lyra i (Long Pulsed Nd:YAG) – (Used for laser hair removal*, the treatment of vascular lesion and, leg veins ,and photorejuvenation)
- The Cutera Pearl – (Used for photorejuvenation in one or two treatments)
- DOT Therapy CO2 – (Fractionated CO2 laser, used for wrinkle removal and skin tightening)
*hair removal on all skin types
Contact Us for Laser Vein Treatment, Skin Resurfacing, Tattoo Removal, and More in Hilliard and Columbus, Ohio
Schedule an appointment at Eastside Dermatology in Columbus or Hilliard, Ohio today to take advantage of laser tattoo removal, skin resurfacing, vein treatment, and all our other amazing laser procedures. Our skin care experts will help you explore your options and settle on the right procedure for your needs.